Rooney delight at double award

Manchester United’s Player and Goal of the Month winner for December, Wayne Rooney, has told ManUtd.com he was pleased with his contribution over the festive period and hopes to maintain his good form as the Reds look to go on another unbeaten run…
Congratulations on your two awards, Wayne. How do you look back on your form in December, which included a number of goals and assists?
It’s always a tough month, December, and, as a player and a team, you have to dig in because it’s physically demanding. I thought we did well as a team and I scored a few goals from my role in midfield. It’s always great to get on the scoresheet and to create a few goals was also nice.
December is always a testing time but is it a period you enjoy when there are games every few days?Not every two days no! [Laughs]. Of course, it’s great to play games and it’s great for the fans over the Christmas period to be able to go and watch their team play. As I said, it’s physically demanding so the recovery we do is always the most important thing to make sure we’re right and ready for the next match.
The manager played you in midfield for the majority of the matches – how much have you enjoyed being in a role where you’re in amongst everything from the first whistle to the last?
It’s different obviously but it’s a role that the manager has given me and it’s one that also gives me license to get forward. You have to make sure you do your defensive duties as well because it’s an important position on the pitch. I’ve tried to do that the best I can. Hopefully, I can keep doing that and keep learning and improving.
Talk us through your Goal of the Month strike against Liverpool.
It was a great piece of play from Antonio [Valencia]. I managed to back the play up and Antonio saw me and picked me out and I managed to finish it. It was a great feeling to score against Liverpool.
Where does it rank among your goals this season – is it one of your favourites given its quality and the opposition?
You always love scoring goals and scoring against Liverpool for me, for this club, is always nice. It’s certainly up there for sure.

Comments



Don't miss this